How I Live Now

How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff This book is an odd one. There are certain elements of it that just don't seem to sit right with me but then I just couldn't put the book down.

The idea that the country could so easily fall into the state portrayed in the story is a powerful one for a reader to think about. The impact that it has on the characters, particularly those characters that started the book on a less than secure mental footing, is intriguing. Perhaps that is the reason that I was so hooked?

I question whether the sexual content adds anything to what the story is trying to achieve. It seemed to be more about obsession than love. I don't know. Did I get a sense that the characters were desperate for some security in an attempt to survive? Maybe. Sometimes. Sometimes it just seemed to be about sex.

I'm torn. I recommend it to those people who like to be challenged by what they read (although with the caveat that this is y-a fiction). If 3.5 was something that my rating system offered then that is where I would put it.

4 Stars